Thursday, April 5, 2018

Warlord Titan Paint Scheme Test WIP 10





I haven't done this in a while, but I grabbed an unused warhound titan shin piece and tried out the first potential paint scheme for the warlord. This is definitely not the paint scheme I am going to pick, despite it having the greatest decal sheet of any titan legion. I almost didn't post this, but I figured it was worth it to share some failures with everyone now and then.

The next test I had to do was with GW varnish. I haven't used any GW varnish product in years because they have been almost universally terrible. While I didn't get any frosting, the varnish dried semi-gloss, which I think ruins most models. The varnish does have a use though. It is durable, and can be used instead of Tamiya semi-gloss varnish to protect paint jobs from enamels and oils.

In the shots above, the shin has had AK-Interactive Ultra-Matte varnish sprayed over the GW varnish.

8 comments:

  1. Be still my heart. It's orange.

    This is the only varnish I trust now John. It's airbrush applied, I use a throw away 20 dollar airbrush to spray it on. It's water based, so don't have to worry about it screwing stuff up, and dries matte.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vallejo-PREMIUM-MATT-VARNISH-2oz-60ml-Airbrush-Acrylic-Polyurethane-62-062/232111867956?epid=1139244757&hash=item360af20834:g:PbMAAOSwPCVX~lB7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I both like orange! I just don't like the paint chipping or black/blue flames which are part of the Tiger Eyes scheme. I may try a hard edge version of flames to see if that tightens it up a bit, or go green/white/blue as I had originally planned.

      Delete
  2. This could be Legio Astorum scheme too! It’s a great failure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is already soaking in simple green. I'm hoping to have it stripped by this evening so I can test out another scheme.

      Delete
  3. "A spare warhound shin", like they are just laying around peoples bits boxes. ;)

    Personally I quite like the look. Looking forward to seeing the next go at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I've had two spare shins laying around in my bits-storage unit for ages. ;) Both of my warhounds came with three shins. Not sure if this was due to an overzealous chaos enthusiast packer at GW, or if this is standard.

      Delete
    2. Standard, at least that being four in both my sets, so you can have Aquila shins or plain shins or one of both.

      Delete
  4. Orange is one of my favorite colors for miniatures and its so underused.

    ReplyDelete